Monday, November 21, 2011

Rust Bus Run

Well, after resorting to a blowtorch, the freezer, and a Sawz-all, Tara finally got the back bearings out of the Bus. You know, the ones that were going pop-pop-grind-grind-grind-crunch for a while there. And so she was then able to put a new set in, hurrah. Which means that today, finally, after rather a protracted period of parole, the Bus was back to its purgatorial task of haulin' junk. So after muscling some sort of engine block (don't ask me what kind; they all look the same to me) and the cart it had been sitting on into the thing, off we went. Here's the side view:



And a close up of the usual rusty hunks of rusty rust:



We also got rid of several old vacuum cleaners, ones that we would have thought were enticingly vintage; except when Tara put them up on Craiglist, no one seemed to care, or if they seemed to, never came through. So they went too, and the flakes of the world missed their chance. Which, I suppose they do most of the time, don't they. Poor flakes.



It was a moderately warmish day today for November in New England; and, yes, I have to admit, the air coming out of the defrosters just inside the windshield of the Bus was kinda warmish. Though perhaps the word is more like warmesque. It did appear to have increased by maybe half a dozen degrees (Fahrenheit, let's not get ahead of ourselves here). So while that is certainly a step in the right direction, still I can't in good conscience call it heat.

So it was the usual not-particularly-comfortable ride in the thing. But it's done now! Although, Tara has already said she wants to start putting stuff aside for the next iron run in a few days (holiday notwithstanding I guess). Because, yes, there is still more. Duh.

So, even though it doesn't look like a whole lot in the pictures, today's total was a solid 1080 pounds of iron, to bring our totals up to 34,080 pounds of iron, or 17.04 tons removed so far, and marks our 39th trip to the scrap yard since we've been keeping receipts, which has been about three and a half years. I can imagine we easily have another ten or so. Well, okay, I can't imagine it, since I can't imagine this place actually clean, since that state has never existed in my lifetime, but at any rate I don't see how ten more trips would finish it off. So we'll hit fifty trips, sooner or later.

Fifty. Holy crap.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That antique vacuum cleaner right beside the spare tire looks exactly like one I had when I was a student in a furnished apartment! It didn't work worth a damn.

Gary said...

My gosh, those canister vacuums look HUGE. We briefly had a metal one like those when I was a young child, but I don't think it was THAT big.

I am curious... why not rent a trunk and haul away more stuff at once?

Sidney said...

You two are so amazingly capable at things where I could only stand their, twirl my hair, and say, 'duh...'

Keep up on truckin', Ladies!

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

Well, the idea of renting a truck does sound nice on pape, but the 800-900 lbs of stuff we muscle around in one trip is really only the amount we can physically do in a day.

Trying to move more than 1000 lbs would just be too hard on our backs. In a lot of ways, it's easier to sorta work slow and whittle at it

Plus we'd probably ding and dent up the truck a bit

But for other tasks, renting equipment makes sense. We've already rented bobcats and even had a friend come over with his backhoe and move a bunch of dirt around.

-Tara